Built in 1833, these Historical buildings are located at 330 East Main St. Mount Joy. Sitting on a three-acre lot, this complex includes nine contributing two story multi wythe brick masonry buildings resting atop of stone masonry foundations.
Previously owned by George Brown and operated by his sons, this building served as a textile manufacturing plant. He chose this location due to its proximity to the Pennsylvania Rail Road for the ease of distribution. Mr. Brown, a British native, first rented “Building No. 2” which is where he had 170 looms in operation. Over the years Mr. Brown purchased all of the buildings and soon retired leaving his business in the hands of his six sons (Thomas J., Arthur, Walter G., Benjamin W., George H. and Elmer E.) known as “George Brown’s Sons Cotton and Woolen Mill”.
In 1995 the buildings were entered into the “National Register of Historic Places” (NRHP #95000881). Currently owned and operated by “Mission First Housing Group”, it was determined that the building would undergo upgrades and repairs to the interior and exterior of the building.
Interior repairs consisted of completely gutting out the room’s walls, floor coverings, fixtures, windows etc. Exterior repairs consisted of cleaning, masonry repointing, brick replacement, masonry sill replacement, masonry lintel replacement, paint removal, sealant replacement, stone masonry repointing, demolition and salvage/reuse of masonry materials, elastomeric coatings, opening enlargements and the reconstruction of brick arches.