Completed in 1907, the original portion of St. Paul Evangelical Lutheran Church was designed to reflect the magnificence of European architecture. Over 100 years later, the church was facing structural and aesthetic damage and in need of repairs. The Witmer Group was part of the team who provided a building review and prepared a comprehensive design & repair plan.
In March 2014, The Witmer Group began the repair and restoration process. The team addressed logistical concerns, prepared a detailed description of repairs, and submitted material and repair procedures along with a complete project schedule. Three of the major repairs included replacement of all coping stone including the installation of new stainless steel pan flashing, repointing 95% of the structure, and removing and rebuilding the top 8 feet of both bell towers.
The Witmer team had to overcome several safety and logistical concerns during the project, including the 85 foot high scaffolding and the church’s busy location which forced street closings, modifications to pedestrian travel and enclosures around the perimeter. The overall performance of The Witmer Group team, designers and engineers was outstanding. The project was successfully completed in October 2014. The church now looks brand new, but yet has retained its original European charm and brilliance.